The city of Philadelphia acquired Faire Mount in 1810 to establish a new Water Works for safe drinking water. There was a yellow fever epidemic in 1793 which motivated the city to establish a Municipal Water Works in 1805. As the city grew, additional properties of farmland, country estates, and manors houses of affluent residents were purchased on both sides of the river. It prevented further industrial and commercial expansion.
The theme for this year's Fairmount Park Holiday House Tour was "Jewels of the Season." The Historic Houses on the tour were Cedar Grove, Laurel Hill, Lemon Hill, Mount Pleasant, Sweetbriar, and Woodford. Ormiston Mansion built in 1798 and owned by The Royal Heritage Society of Delaware Valley was also open for tours.
Source: Text and Photos by Bryan Wright
Laurel Hill Mansion
Philadelphia Museum of Art Fairmount Park Houses
Add a Comment:
• Sorry, you must be logged in to post article comments...
[Colonial Ads -- click for more info]
Go to Top
Colonial Sense is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security.
All material on this website © copyright 2009-16 by Colonial Sense, except where otherwise indicated.